SEO signifies search engine optimization. Every time you go in Google or Yahoo, or any search engine you apply a list of possible related website find. If you go into Google and type in the word 'car' and search, and you get a list of football websites, you are not going to use Google again. Google searches the websites for related material and tries to give the aptest results.
If you have a website, you ideally want your page up at the type when people search for 'car' or whatever it is your page will be a result of. In order to get your page to the top, you need to optimize your page for Google, the search engine. for this reason the name search engine optimization.
It isn't just websites that need to worry about SEO. If you write a blog, or have articles or sales pages using above average SEO techniques will mean that you finally get more traffic. You do need to have good content too.
Some pointers to get good SEO rankings:
· Apply meta tags, if you're not sure what they're, there is a post about meta tags in this blog
· Stick with specific criteria. If your going to write about pets, don't suddenly switch to science fiction
· Base yourself as an expert. This will drive more traffic to your website too
· Be ordered, specially with your blog
· If you've WordPress, do not have your blog on the 'home page', put it on the second page
· Make a point your page title contains your keyword